Anxiety is on the rise, but reports show that art can help; medical research has confirmed that colouring is great stress buster, so I’m giving away a few freebies of artwork all based on my favourite film – The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
Medical Daily shared an article in which “Dr. Stan Rodski, a neuropsychologist who also has his own line of adult colouring books, says that colouring elicits a relaxing mindset, similar to what you would achieve through meditation.” The neuropsychologist further mentions that “like meditation, colouring allows us to switch off our brains from other thoughts and focus on the moment.
Tasks with predictable results, such as colouring or knitting, can often be calming.” It may be hard to believe Dr. Rodski since he owns his own line of adult colouring books, however, he didn’t base his findings off just assumptions. Instead, he used advanced technology to see what actually happens to our bodies when we colour. Dr. Rodski tells the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, “the most amazing things occurred — we started seeing changes in heart rate, changes in brainwaves.” He also mentions “there are three key elements—repetition, pattern, and detail—that prompt positive neurological responses in participants. When you have things that you can predict will happen in a certain way, it’s calming for us.”
- Your brain experiences relief by entering a meditative state
- Stress and anxiety levels have the potential to be lowered
- Negative thoughts are expelled as you take in positive vibes
- Focusing on the present helps you achieve mindfulness
- Unplugging from technology promotes creation over consumption
- Colouring can be done by anyone, not just artists or creative types
- It’s a hobby that can be taken with you wherever you go
Free Adult Colouring Pages
All pages are 300dpi and A4 size and can be downloaded by clicking the button below.
I hope you enjoy colouring these as much as I did creating them 🙂